Friday, November 23, 2007

Malaika Orphanage - Arusha

Megan & Eddie Barkham Malaika Orphange August-November 2007

Today we leave Tanzania.And a part of me is left too.Yesterday we said goodbye to our homestay;that is the official terminology;in reality we left our new family;to say it was heartbreaking is an understatement.The love we feel for them and the love they gave to us will remain in our hearts forever.Mama,Baba,Gardy,Sarah,Godsave,Mum GoGo,Naomi and Imanhi we miss you already!!!! My thoughts on our three months with them are too precious to share;suffice to say we will return as soon as we can. Malaika:the hardest job I’ve ever had but hopefully one of the most worthwhile.There are certainly areas I found difficult to accept and areas I would like to see changed.My respect for the staff grew the longer I was there and likewise theirs for me. They have my sympathy;muzungus coming in for short periods of time telling them how to do the jobs they will still be doing long after we have left.Their was certainly some resentment when I first arrived but I chose to deal with it by getting my head down and working my butt off.Slowly,slowly the girls trusted in me and I enjoyed their respect and love.Teach by example would be my advice to any new volunteers.There were a number of practical difficulties and funding is always an issue. Thanks to Nicky and David in Exmouth Malaika will soon receive a supply of plastic pants and nappy pins.To say these are the type of things we were always short of gives you some idea of the way things are in Tanzania.The 6 babies I was mainly responsible for were of course beautiful but their starts in life pretty horrendous.For that reason I am sorry to have to question our worth as volunteers and would like to see a commitment of a minimum of 6 mths for people who work with vulnerable children.I was torn apart leaving them but am glad to say that I had three weeks with three lovely new volunteers from Israel and know that they will carry on where I left off.But part of me will always remain at Malaika.The older children I had less contact with but in my role of taking them to hospitals and clinics I became close to them also.Volunteering at an orphanage is a huge physical and emotional challenge;one I struggled with almost daily.Comfort,Sia,Samwel,Betty,Neema and Baraka not forgetting Lisa and Paulo and the school children I carry you all in my heart. And now to my thoughts on Africa.I hate the poverty, the lack of respect for women and children,indiscriminate use of corporal punishment and the Dust!!!!!!!!! But we have been privilaged to meet some of the kindest and most loving and generous people who have thankfully blown the previous generilisations apart except for the Dust!!!! Their enthusiasm for life belies the hardships they exist under and we as pampered westerners would do with following their example.Having no water, no electricity and very basic toilet facilities soon became the norm and brought us closer to our hosts in Tanzania.Kwa heri to Arusha and all our new friends;we will be back!!! And finally to Mondo-thankyou for supporting us in this experiance.We acknowledged some differances in opinion and came away with I hope mutual respect.Kate you are amazing and we would like to say a special thankyou to you.It has been a privilage to know you. Asante sana.

No comments: