Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kimnyak Primary School - Ngaramtoni


Alex Nilsson September - December 2007
6th week of teaching
Monday, I started a new chapter with my kids, so I had them write down a dictionary of 36 words (as their books are totally in english, I have no clue how they are supposted to figure out what it all means - and remember without having it on paper) then I collected their exercise books and did corrections for the rest of the school day (approx from 11-2, when they look up the school...) By that time I had almost gone through 5a which was 56 books in total. (correcting dictionary and previous tasks) I also had to go back to the class and give back books where the students had not finished writing down the words, they just panic when you collect the books for office. So they did them later on and came with them to the office.Alex correcting system: first exercise/task on the chapter (usually a dictionary) gives a orange star with a highlighter pen. Next task, yellow, then blue and last one green, if you did a good job you get a small sticker, if you did very well it's a shiny star =)

In the afternoon Vicky, Joel, Lindsay and I went to the Orphanage to do some more painting, mainly details on the mural that Kim and Vicky lined out before she (Kim) left.Tuesday was the same story in school as yesterday.Last week I had the misbehaving kids in 5b to do "jumps" touch your toes and then jump - hands up in the air, which worked remarkably well, I was down from 7 to 1 jumping kid in 1 day =)Although on one of the days last week there was a boy hiting a girl quite hard and they could not explain to me in english what was going on so I had them sit in a corner of the classroom until end of period when I took them with me to the office (staff room). I asked on of the teachers to ask the students what had happend and then translate to me. They exchanged some words in Swahili then she said I want to punish them (and I started questioning why I even took them into the staff room), I stayed calm and asked again what happend. She had them sit on the floor with their hands in the air, so I had to ask another teacher to please ask them again and to translate for me. The girl was so near to tears: I assume because she got hit by the guy and then ended up in the teachers staff room and seemed to be punished for it. So finally we got the words out that he had hit her but without any reason so he had to appologize, touching her shoes and her cheek, much better then the physical punishment!In the afternoon Lindsay had went gone to Arusha, Joel was having a rest and I went jogging so we cancelled the tuesday beer.In the evening Nassir decided to add blue extensions to my hair and then we painted our nails =)

No comments: