Sunday, October 28, 2007

Malaika Orphanage - Arusha

Sue Lyons January - August 2007

Dreams DO come true…………………
For probably 25-30 years I have dreamed of doing volunteer work in Africa. I always thought it would be in a hospital, but after 22 years of not nursing, my skills were very rusty. Next love……children, so in Jan 2006 Michael, my husband, decided it was time for me to “follow my dream”. I found MondoChallenge with some help, decided the Malaika Childrens Home was for me and applied to Mondo to become a volunteer. I was accepted and my time to commence was end January 07. Timing was all important as Michael and I own a property (farm) in rural and remote Queensland, Australia. Michael suggested I go for 6 months to enable me to settle into my project and acquire the most out of my “African experience”. The main shearing had to be completed and the calves had to be branded as these are labour intensive jobs. We did complete the shearing but not the branding as, if my memory is correct, we had some rain prior to my departure which delayed this job! Bags packed, crossed a flooded creek and I was on my way – a 10 hour drive to the airport. Tearful saying goodbye to the animals, and my home AND my much supportive husband and the children (who are grown up). I was SO scared. Michael never thought I’d board the plane as had never been very adventurous by myself. I did and was on my way. A night in Nairobi, more scary, then the bus trip to Arusha that took I think “5 minutes” – there was so much to see. Think it was 5 hours. Met by the Country manager Tom, and off to Center House. More tears!!!! I was so homesick. My volunteering had begun. After a couple days resting getting over the trip it was time to meet my homestay family……. more nerves. All went well and off to Malaika the next day. How I fitted in, like I had been there forever. The children were beautiful and I felt very much at home, very welcomed by Mary, the other volunteer, the staff and directors. All I ever dreamed had come true. Cannot describe my feelings for the children as still to this day I miss them so much and would love to be back at Malaika….. BUT I do have a husband and business to help run.
My homestay were unbelievable people whom I became very, very fond of. They themselves were unselfish, very welcoming, and caring and made sure I experienced every aspect of African life. I cannot thank them enough. Their extended family welcomed me as well. I was very concerned living with people from a different culture for so long, but my fears were unfounded. I realise it would have been very difficult for both parties if our personalities had clashed. I admire them both greatly for what they do for the orphans and disadvantaged children/people of Arusha.
Life after Africa has been rather difficult in settling into everyday life that has all the conveniences of the western world. I never thought I would feel like this! But I realise I was given a rare opportunity that many of my fellow Australians never have. I am back into helping with the cattle work, riding my 4x4 motorbike mustering and helping in the shearing shed. These all seem a far cry from Africa where a part of me has remained. I still shed many tears for the children and my family who I miss so much.
I thank MondoChallenge for giving me the opportunity to volunteer and also thank them for my homestay family, for, without them I am sure my stay in Africa would not have been as rewarding and productive.
I hope to return one day, God willing. Keep up the good work.
Karibu Australia.
Sue Lyons. Augathella, Australia.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hiu there, My name is Isaac and reside in Cape Town, I just looked at your work of Charity in children' sector, Oh my God this is a great work you are doing. Thnks again for having that heart of love. Please keep me updated as am in the same field. Hope to communicate with you soon.

Isaac Email: isaaconline2001@gmail.com. Or +27 73 2421 495